Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Trip to Maryland!

So I wasn't able to go home for Maryland for Christmas but I had been planning for about a year that I would go home this January so that I could be home when James got back from his mission! So I'll write another post about all that went on with James coming home, but we did a lot of fun stuff while I was in Maryland and I had a great time seeing everyone!

Actually, a few days before I came to Maryland, my brother Daniel was flying back to school at BYU and happened to stop in Denver, so Jacob and I went to go visit him for an hour. He didn't realize I was coming though so I went through security and found him sleeping at his gate. Ironically the last two times I had seen him before that were at the airport too! So it was good to at least catch up and give him a chance to see Jacob. I'm hoping to see Daniel one more time though before he'll probably leave on his mission in the Spring once this semester is over.



So I was able to fly standby into Baltimore (thanks to Luke's mom!) and got in on Wednesday the 6th. And then my sister Erika had to leave for school at ISU early Friday morning so I only had just over a day to see her.
So it was just kind of funny that only a few days before James came home Erika and Daniel had to go back to school, so we couldn't all be there to see him come home. But I was lucky to be able to see everyone, just wish we could have all been there at the same time! It might be awhile until that happens since Daniel will leave soon for his mission!

Erika was happy to see Jacob though, all my sisters gushed over him as soon as we got in.

Julia with Jacob

Andrea and Jacob

It took Jacob a little bit to get used to my family, he still gets stranger anxiety and likes to cling to me like a monkey. But after a day or so he really warmed up! Andrea played with him a lot when she would get home from school everyday and so he started to really like her and think she was funny!

The first weekend I was out there we decided to drive around Annapolis. I had actually never been there before but it seemed like a fun place! It was absolutely freezing when we went though but if Luke and I are ever back in the summer we're definetly going to have to go back and check out Annapolis more.

Julia, Andrea, and me at the Bay


I loved all the colonial buildings

the state capital!

pretty spot at sunset

My first Sunday out there I went to go see Luke's side of the family- his parents, his Aunt Julie, and his cousins, Tyler and Ryan and Ryan's wife Jamie and their two kids Liala and Dax. We just had dinner and hung around together but it was fun for Jacob to meet Liala and Dax for the first time. The funny thing though was at the time Jacob was 9 1/2 months and Dax was 3 1/2 months but they were almost the same size!
Jacob let Grandma Brenda feed him

nearly the same height and weight!

Liala was really sweet with "John Jacob"

Jacob checking out Dax some more, kept trying to hit his face!

One person I didn't get to see that night though was Luke's Grandma Martha so I went to visit her a few days later when she got back from all her Christmas trips out west. I always have a good time going to visit Grandma- Luke and I lived with her the summer after we got married and we really have good memories of that time, so I always like going back to McLean to see her.

The last time we saw Grandma was when she came out with Luke's parents for Jacob's baby blessing a month or so after he was born, so he's grown up a lot since. And Grandma had so much fun playing with him!
Here's Grandma sitting on the kitchen floor with Jacob rolling a grapefruit back and forth, haha.

Jacob looooves remotes so Grandma let him play with her old ones just to keep him happy


Once James got home he wanted to do practically everything that he couldn't do on his mission- well within reason! But every night James and I would stay up way too late watching movies and stuff, and then by the time the weekend rolled around James said he wanted to have a dance party! I wasn't really expecting that from him, but I guess it was just another one of those things he couldn't do before and so we had to do it now. But it was actually soo fun!

Andrea hooked up her Ipod and blasted a dance mix and then we turned off all the lights and pulled out some glow sticks and flashing lights! Haha it was amazing! Even Jacob got in on the fun!
I couldn't let Jacob play with the glowsticks because he would bite them open so he played with this flashing light- he just liked biting it :)

Grandma sitting with Jacob

Halfway through and we were already exhausted- that's me on the floor, I think I'm out of shape because I was so tired! But then we kept going! We did get some pics with the lights off and our sticks glowing but they're not that great. But either way- it was way fun!
On my last day home in MD it was Martin Luther King Day and so my sisters were off school so we decided to go to DC and check out the American History Museum- it seemed fitting for the holiday! Too bad my dad still had to work, but my mom still took us kids down.

And it was Jacob's first ride on the metro!


I don't think I have ever been to this museum before, or at least I didn't remember it. It's crazy that I've lived in Mayland my whole life and there's so much of DC I feel I haven't really seen! So I was actually excited to see a lot of the exhibits. One fun exhibit was the one about the American Presidents. There was one spot where you could stand at a podium and look like you're the president with real presidential video clips behind you.
And when we first noticed this, we saw a little boy, probably 7 years old, and he got up to the podium and threw his hands up and shouted, "It is time for change!" Haha we were all laughing so hard! But then we realized there was also a screen on top where you can read real presidential speeches or whatever. So Julia, Andrea, and James all tried it too.
haha, Julia is so cute

Andrea reading her speech

nice presidential smile :)

And when we were done with the museum we took some pictures on the mall. For a January day, it was absolutely beautiful! It was a great day to be downtown!





And a couple other random pics from the trip...

Once James got home, my parents took James, Jacob, and I out to lunch. James and I kind of joked around that every time we went out and I was carrying a baby around people probably assumed we were a couple. At least one Target worker thought James was my husband, it was kind of funny, but weird at the same time haha.

Jacob was always trying to get out of this little chair and climb onto the table! This one was funny though because he kept putting his foot up and down, it didnt even look like his leg was connected, just kept popping up on the table, haha. Guess he's flexible like his mom!

Grandma was able to put Jacob to sleep our last day there, aww

Saying goodbye! James was nice enough to take me in to the airport. We were laughing when this lady took our picture because once again we knew it probably looked like we were a couple- but I did want a picture with my new RM brother! I'm so glad I was able to come home to see James and all the rest of my family- on both sides! I had a really great time- lots of fun memories already!

No comments: