Tuesday, February 2, 2010

James is Home!

So for the past two years my brother James has been serving an LDS mission in Riverside, California speaking Spanish and teaching people about our church. So we weren't able to see him for two years, and he was only able to call home on Christmas and Mother's Day, but then he would send the family an email once a week, usually. So we missed him a lot but we were all soo proud of him and the work that he was doing. James always had a really positive attitude and seemed to have learned a lot and grown from his experiences.

Anyway, so I definetly wanted to make sure that I was home to be there when James got home from his mission. Especially since he had never even met his first little nephew!

So this is the plaque they had of James at the church, along with all the other missionaries from our ward. So before James returned home, Jacob was checking out the uncle he hadn't met yet.

Jacob and James



So the big day finally came! James came home late Tuesday, January 12, 2010, and his plane was late too and so we were all getting a little anxious. Here is the big sign that we made for him!
Everyone at the airport was totally staring at us, but some people were nice and were asking about our James, haha. And when we finally saw him come down past security we all were cheering for him and he was strutting down acting as if he couldn't see our huge banner! I think he loved it though- he said he wanted people to think he was famous when he got into the airport- so we did our best to give him a big welcome!

And it was so great to see him again- he looked so much more grown up! Amazing what two years can do...
Before and After!

One of the nice things about being home for this, was that we were all able to go with him when he got released by the Stake President the next day, and he said a lot of really nice things. And then the day after that we were all also invited to go with him as he reported to the High Council about his mission. And so it was neat to hear about more of the stories and experiences that he had and how he felt about those spanish people that he had served. This picture above was right before he reported, and once that was over he felt like he was officially done as a missionary!
So then James' first Sunday back we had an open house that evening so that family friends could come over to see him and all. These pictures were taken once the party was almost over, but before that, the house was seriously packed! There were a lot of people, and a lot of good food! And it was fun for me to be there with Jacob so that I could see a lot of people that I haven't seen in awhile too.
We used our airport banner as decoration

We put up some of James' missionary pictures on the sunroom doors

Jacob and Mason, so glad Jeremy and Leigh Ann came and so I could see little Mason again- I could just eat him he's so cute!

Our family! (minus Erika, Daniel, and Luke)

James' second family- the Kings. They have their own two missionaries out but they took a family picture with James as their replacement.
These are the two Kings brothers, James' best friends that are still on their missions.

Again, I had a great time seeing James come home and seeing how much he's changed and grown up! I spent a lot of time with him when he got home fixing up his resume and helping him find a job. He did finally get a job for the next few months until he'll be able to go back to BYU-I in April for the summer semester. And then Julia will be going out there for the Fall semester too! It makes me jealous- I wish I could be back in Rexburg with them! I loved hanging out with them while I was home and can't wait until we can all get together again soon!

1 comment:

Jannie said...

Kara! Thanks for your comment on my blog - we are so excited to see you guys, too! I was thinking that when we get together (if you want), we can set up a little playgroup once or twice a month so I can talk to you and my girls can drool over your little cutie!

I love all your pics on the blog! Looks like so much fun on your vacations!