Thursday, September 1, 2011

Millions of Peaches

On our way home from our trip to Utah we made sure to stop at Palisade. Luke has been wanting to go for over a year so that we could pick up a couple of bushels of peaches, since supposedly they have the best!
You could see the peach orchards everywhere and they had a little store right on the road at the edge of the orchard. Anyway, we went ahead and got 3 boxes, which were each a half bushel. And since we mostly just wanted to cut the peaches up into dehydrated slices and make jam we bought the #2 boxes since they were cheaper. So they don't look as pretty but still tasted great on the inside.
Well we got right to work and ever since we've been home it has seriously been a peach factory over here. Luke has made racks and racks of dehydrated peach slices- he wanted enough to last a lifetime! And I've made several batches of jam. This is just a sample of jars I got from just one batch.
And here's how the peaches look when they're done drying- yum. We've had fun working on the peaches together, and needless to say, we'll be able to enjoy these peaches for a long time!

3 comments:

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

so much fun! I haven't used my dehydrator in a whole year...I think it may be time to take it out of the food storage room! :)

Jannie said...

oh my goodness - peach jam and dried peaches sound delicious! that's so awesome!

Cheri J. Meiners, M. Ed. said...

good for you guys! Great canning and dehydrating skills you're aquiring! Fresh peaches are my favorite. When I lived in Emmett I could eat them off the tree in our yard.