Saturday, August 28, 2010

Maryland: Part One

After getting home from Idaho early Monday morning, that left me just about 2 days to do laundry, run errands, clean up the house, and pack again so that I could leave for the airport at 5 am Wednesday. I'm so grateful to Luke's parents who help me fly home standby- it makes going home so much easier- well cheaper at least. Anyway, Jacob and I were lucky to catch the first flight out of Denver, especially since I was actually running a little late. But they were nice enough to give me two seats together in the very last row, which I was fine with since Jacob wanted to be a little loud and it was a little more acceptable when no one was sitting directly behind me and it seemed all the kids in the plane were put in the last few rows anyway.
Compared to all the past flights I've done with Jacob when he was younger, this was not his best ride- and that's mainly because he has always slept practically the entire flight- so no I was not as lucky this time. He refused to let me try and rock him to sleep, and he really didn't want me holding him at all, especially since there was a nice spacious window seat next to me that he wanted to occupy. He didn't really want to play with his toys, or even eat much food. But he made friends with the older lady sitting next to me and she was so nice to play "elmo" with him. Then he spent the rest of the 3.5 hour flight poking his head through the crack of the seats in front of us to see what those kids were playing with, or taking pictures of his feet from my phone. It was one of those flights I really wished Luke was there with me to help me handle the wiggle-worm, but at least he wasn't too loud!
But of course, it was all worth it- I love going back home to Maryland! I felt spoiled going back after just being there 7 months earlier in late January, but another wedding reception was a good excuse.
As soon as I got to my parents house, Jacob went right back to playing with his good Aunt Andrea! I remember pushing my brothers on this same truck when we were younger :)
Then my first night in town I made the hour drive down to Luke's parents house to visit them for a night before they left on a week vacation to Disneyland. When I took this picture of Jacob I wondered if there is a picture somewhere of young Luke standing in front of the house he grew up in- I'll have to find one now :)
The next day, Thursday, all my dad's side of the family made it into town! I hadn't seen most of them since my wedding 4 years earlier! Above is Jacob with my dad's parents- Grandpa Jim and Grandma Joyce. And below is him with my dad's sisters- Aunt Patty and Aunt Julie. My Uncle Mark showed up that night too, and my Aunt Kathy and Karen showed up the next day. All but my Aunt Nancy came, but it was so nice to visit and spend time with all of them for a few days, especially since I feel I hardly get to see that side of my family. And none of them had ever met Jacob so I was glad they got a chance to see him- that boy definetly got a lot of attention!
Friday was a little rainy, so me and my sisters Julia and Andrea went to the movies to see Charlie St. Cloud- we loved it! And it was the perfect get-away for a rainy day, and my mom stayed home with Jacob while he napped- so I was really glad to be able to take advantage of some time away from Jacob while I could.
By Friday night Tyler and Erika had made it home from their honeymoon to the beach, and my parents had a big dinner for all our family, including Tyler's parents who also stayed a week at my parents house, and Tyler even had an aunt and her family stop by too which was nice. Again, more good family mingling time!
Then Saturday was a busy day getting everything ready for reception #2 which happened that evening. By the time that reception ended and we took down all the decorations, put away all the food, packed it all up in the cars, and unloaded it all at home, it was well after midnight! It doesn't make me look forward to hosting a big party or reception like that any time soon! But it was a fun reception, different from the first, but nice to see more familiar faces. (You can see more about the receptions two posts down in the big wedding post!)
By Sunday we got to relax and unwind a little bit since all the wedding stuff was finally over. We went to one hour of church and then came back home so that we could have lunch with my dad's family before they all left out of town. Erika and Tyler got to open their cards and gifts from their last reception, and they also played us a song! They were originally going to sing and play the song at the Idaho reception but never really practiced and didn't want to stress over it. So it was nice that they could do it for just us, it was actually really sweet! And Jacob loved it too! He plopped on the floor on his own just to listen to the nice music, it was too cute!
So once all the wedding stuff was over, and all the family left town, we had another whole week to play and do lots more fun stuff together! I was going to make one huge Maryland post but it would seriously be too long, so there's much more to come!

No comments: