Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What He Wants Most...

There are two things that Jacob cries for the most throughout the day. First: Elmo. All day. Jacob would literally watch Elmo all day if I let him. So I'm still not sure if I should be grateful for the Elmo DVD that his grandpa sent him.

On the one hand, it's kind of a great blessing. I've found something that will actually occupy his time for 50 minutes at a time, and I can actually leave the room to do the dishes, or make dinner, or be completely lazy and know that he's ok. And Jacob will be completely content and even dance along and laugh when his favorite songs come on. He gets so excited it's like he's laughing and crying at the same time. It's a great freedom.

On the other hand, I'm afraid I might be taking advantage of this a little too often too young. It's all too tempting to give in to his crying and begging for Elmo- I can't resist him all day! I also babysit his friend Brielle every week and Jacob has even got her hooked on Elmo too! They say she now asks for Elmo the minute she wakes up- what is it with Elmo and these kids?!
Now I'll admit, Elmo is adorable and Sesame Street itself is actually quite funny and entertaining, even for me, haha! But listening to the same movies over and over again is starting to drive me nuts! And I'm kind of worried Jacob might get sick of Elmo too quickly too, and then what will I do to occupy him when I'm busy? But I guess too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Now the second thing Jacob cries for, at least towards the end of each day is for his daddy! If he hears a noise and thinks he's coming home for work, or sees a picture of him, or hears me say the D-word, Jacob runs to the garage door and just wails, "daaaadddy!" Aw, it's actually kind of sad. I'm glad that it's not me though, he used to be a big momma's boy, but the tables have turned. And that's ok with me, as long as Luke does come home and can take him off my hands.

Unfortunately for me, and Jacob, Luke has been out of town the past few days for work again. And Luke has been out of town several times this year, and especially in the past few months, but we've managed just fine. But I was a little more worried about this trip since Jacob has been so especially attatched to Luke lately, and I was afraid that he would notice more now when Luke wouldn't come home.

And not only that, but Jacob has just been getting over a virus he had for about a week and a half. It took me a little time to realize he was actually sick, and that he wasn't just acting fussy because he hated me.

However, I realize now that Jacob actually doesn't hate me, and he luckily has also done just fine without Luke coming home every night- I'm not sure if he's noticed yet. So maybe by the time Luke does come home Jacob will be a momma's boy again... but I doubt it. ;)

No comments: