Sunday, September 13, 2009

Labor Day weekend

We had been planning for months to go camping on Labor Day weekend and were looking forward to a little break. We had all been a little sick before the trip- Luke had just recovered from his bronchitis, and Jacob and I had really bad flu/colds which were still lingering. But we decided to go camping anyway since we never seem to get out and do anything fun anymore.
We went with our good friends Kim and Steve and his son Mykie- they moved out of our ward in April so it was fun to get back together with them, and another couple in our ward James and Christina and their one year old Hailey.



So we made the drive into the mountains to Kenosha Pass, luckily it was only a little less than an hour away. We got there way after dark on Friday- we were a little later than planned, but we set up camp, and then sat around the fire with everyone the first night. We had a good time, but I was not feeling so great around the smoky campfire and then sleeping in our freeeezing tent and up being up sick all that night.
But Saturday we woke up and made a nice breakfast of eggs, bacon, and toast. Then we all went on a little walk up the Colorado Trail.



The trees were really pretty and we had a couple views, but Luke and I turned around before we got to the top of the hill. We didn't realize we were only about 100 yards or so from the top, but we were tired-(ok, I was tired!) and I was still not feeling great so we turned around and went back to camp for lunch.

My parents got us this grilled cheese maker thing for Christmas so we finally got to try it out!

And it was good!

Jacob all bundled up watching the campfire.

So we stayed and made dinner for everyone that night since it was our night- we made tacos in a bag! And we had a good time again, but the clouds started coming and it finally started sprinking so we decided to end the trip early and Luke and I packed up and left once it got dark. I was too sick to stay another night and it ended up raining that night and on and off the next day so I was glad to get home. And I was even more grateful we left because as we drove out of the mountains coming home my ears hurt soo bad! They like exploded with pain- it was awful! So I went to urgent care Monday and found out I had an ear infection along with my flu/cold. A few days later I took Jacob in and thank goodness he didn't have an ear infection, but was finally starting to get over his cold too.

So after the long doctors trip on Monday, we decided to go to Chick-fil-A since they were having a special for Labor Day- if you wear your favorite sports logo you got a free chicken sandwich! And we're cheap, so we went and represented DC!

Washington Wizards


Washington Redskins

And even Jacob got a sandwich for wearing a Washington Nationals baseball outfit!

Luke ate Jacob's sandwich by the way- don't worry. And I got some anti-biodics and started feeling better the next day and Jacob quickly got better too. So it may not have been the Labor Day we planned to have, but we had a good time just spending time together! :)

Now we're just looking forward to the next break- Thanksgiving!

No comments: