Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Preschool and Potty Training

Blake has started preschool! When did my little guy get so big?! He seemed so little to already be going, but we felt it might be good for him, and a nice break for me too. It's only twice a week for an hour and a half, so not very long, but just right for him.
 
Although all summer he had been uninterested in the idea of preschool, when it came to the first day he was actually a little excited!
He liked having a backpack and knew that there were toys in the classroom so that's all he cared about. In fact, when I tried to wave good bye that first day he was just looking over my head in awe at the other toys packed above the shelves. He was totally fine and I was just glad he wasn't crying.
   So the first few days went great, then by the third day his teachers noticed that Blake was in a diaper when he asked to go to the bathroom. I have no idea why he asked to go to the bathroom, and I was a little annoyed with him for blowing our cover, because he was technically supposed to be potty trained and I was hoping to slide by until we had gotten there. But Blake just hasn't been ready.
   But once I realized I would need to pull him out unless I got him potty trained I spent the next two days frantically trying to potty train him and it was exhausting! By the time it came for him to go back to school two days later I decided to see what would happen if I just sent him in underwear, even though he had still been unsuccessful going at home. I was so nervous that whole day that I was going to get a call or something, but when I came to pick him up not only did he stay dry but they said he even used the potty too! I was shocked. But also prepared with a bag of lollipops, so he was happy and proud of himself too.
   Since then he has used the potty one other time at school, but since then he's refused to go potty at school but at least he stays dry. At home he's been getting frustrated sitting on the potty, so we seem to have come to an agreement that he can continue to wear diapers at home as long as he wears underwear at school and stays dry! As much as I would like him to fully train, I guess he's getting the best of both worlds- he gets to still go to school but can decide when he's ready to switch to underwear full time. And I hope he's ready soon, though I realize I may be setting myself up for this to drag on awhile...
   But anyway, I think Blake likes preschool. I don't think he's bothered with making friends yet, and I think he usually keeps to himself. Every day when I ask him what he played with, he tells me that he called me on the phone to talk to me and that he missed me. He always seems surprised when I pick him up, he says "You came back?!" Haha but I'm proud of him for being brave and facing something new and handling it well. My little boy is slowly but stubbornly growing up!

No comments: